Now that the weather is getting cooler (even here in the South), it is time for some more stews and soups! The recipe below makes a ton so adjust accordingly if you want less or if you have a smaller slow cooker. To make the below, you need a 6 quart slow cooker. I like to make a lot and freeze some. I usually don’t have as many fresh ingredients as I did today so please know that the peppers, carrots and sweet potato aren’t necessary. The sweet potato does add a nice flavor that the kids like however. Sometimes I will use less beans and throw in some veggie burger crumble.
This is great to make overnight or while you are at work. You can also prepare all of the ingredients and throw them all in together in the morning. If your cooker shuts off automatically cook for 6 hours on high. If not, set to low and cook for at least 8 hours. If your cooker is new you probably don’t want to throw everything in and leave the house for 10 hours. You will need to get familiar with your particular cooker to gauge exact cooking times.
1 T olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
2 medium carrots or 10 baby carrots, chopped
1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 small green and 1 small red pepper, diced
Garlic, 2 generous shakes
Cumin, 2 shakes
Turmeric, 1 shake
Cayenne pepper to taste
Chili powder to taste
2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
2 cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
2 cans Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
2 cans diced tomatoes
3 ½ cups water
1. Spray the slow cooker bowl with cooking spray.
2. Turn the slow cooker to high and add the olive oil while you chop the vegetables.
3. Add the onion, carrots, sweet potato, peppers to the slow cooker bowl. Add the spices and stir gently to coat.
4. If you have time, let the vegetables cook for 20 minutes before adding remaining ingredients.
5. Add the beans, tomatoes and water. Cook for 6 hours on high or 8 hours on low.